The lovely Chateau Mcely, the former home of the Thurn-Taxis noble family, is situated only 35 miles from Prague, and is surrounded by the St. George Forest and an English park. It offers luxury accommodations, a nature spa, gourmet dining experiences, unforgettable weddings and much more.
The Czech branch of the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis (German: Das Fürstenhaus Thurn und Taxis) is a dynastic branch of a German family that was a key player in the postal services in Europe in the 16th century and is well known as owners of breweries and builders of countless castles.
The Czech branch of the House of Thurn und Taxis was founded in 1808 by Prince Maximilian Joseph von Thurn und Taxis (Regensburg, 29 May 1769 – Prague, 15 May 1831). He was the youngest child of Alexander Ferdinand, 3rd Prince of Thurn and Taxis (1704–1773), a founder of a dynastic order of knighthood and a house order of chivalry in the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis, The Order of Parfaite Amitié, and his third wife Princess Maria Henriette von Fürstenberg (1732–1772).
In 1791, Maximilian married Princess Eleonore von Lobkowicz (Prague, 22 April 1770 – Lautschin, 9 November 1834), who belonged to a Czech noble family whose origin can be traced back to Mares Martin z Ujezda (1376–90).
In 1808, he inherited Lautschin (Loučeň in Czech) and Dobrovice castles from his cousin Princess Maria Josefa von Fürstenberg, and in 1820 permanently settled in Bohemia. Besides Lautschin and other rural estates, the family also owned real estate in Prague that included two palaces: one in the city’s uptown (V jámě 635–636, no longer exists) and one in the old town (Vrtbovský Palace in Malá Strana, purchased in 1814).
The castle itself was built in 1698 above the Mcelami on the vineyards of Vineyards, on the site of a former Celtic settlement. (You can read more about them here.) The Baroque hunting lodge, surrounded by a garden of about 5 hectares, was created at the instigation of Oktavian Ladislav of Wallenstein. In 1840, the one-story building was rebuilt. In 1863, the building was extended by two three-sided sidewalls.
The castle was visited by famous guests, including Mark Twain and Rainer Maria Rilke.
Since the 1930s, the castle has become the birthplace of Prince Luigi della Torre e Tasso and his wife Fanny Goodyear, the daughter of the founder of the famous tire company. Luigi met his bride on the other side of the world and convinced this young, elegant lady to move from New York to Mcel.
After World War II and the rise of Communism, Luigi and Fanny and their son, Prince Alexander, who was born to them at the castle, were forced to leave the castle under the Beneš Decrees, the castle owner, the Prince of Thurn-Taxis, was locked up and nationalized.
The castle was devastated, the side wing collapsed and the expropriated castle was dilapidated for many years, one of the times served as a store of Civil Protection.
But in 2001, the castle has purchased by Jim A. Cusuman and his wife Inés, who have poured their love into the devastated chateau, and in 2006 opened the 5-star Castle Hotel Château Mcely.
The Mcely Spa was completed in 2010 and the entire English park was completed.
The castle won the World Travel Awards 2008 in the category of “green” hotels and is a part of the Five Star Alliance.
Today, the Green House Chateau offers its guests accommodation in 24 lovely rooms and suites with their own design and names, including the presidential suite Agapé among others.
Imagine yourself wandering through the elegant chateau halls or dining at their beautiful Piano Nobile Restaurant.
They also have the “Alchemist Club” from the 17th Century located in the cellar, the Mcely Bouquet spa, a library in the castle tower, a rooftop observatory all surrounded by a five-hectare English park.
Don’t forget you can also enjoy historical carriage rides, cycling, and croquet in the park.
Watch this video for the more complete experience…
If planning a visit, we recommend going through this link.
Mcely 61 | Club Hotel & Forest Retreat
Mcely 289 36, Czech Republic